Breaking News

MAYORWatch: Can a ‘Slow Down’ Sign be Placed in my Neighborhood?

Mayor Michael Victorino answers some of the most-asked questions submitted to his office staff.

Question: Is there any way a “slow down” sign could be placed in my neighborhood in Haiku?

Answer: I share your concerns about drivers sometimes speeding through neighborhoods, especially ones with children on the sidewalk. My staff looked into this concern, and while it would be nice to add “slow down” signs to many of our neighborhoods, there appears to be more to this issue.

Regulatory signs supported by the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) are generally installed to provide advance warning of an unexpected condition ahead, or a hazardous road condition. Signs reading, “Slow Down” or “Kids at Play,” are not in conformance with the MUTCD, and so installing them may create added liability for the county. Many studies also have shown that drivers respond more to roadway conditions rather than signage, and one of the best ways to deter speeding is through education and enforcement.

One solution residents can explore, though, is making a speed hump information request for their neighborhood here. Residents must fill out the form completely, with the location for the proposed speed hump, and email it

For more information on requesting a speed hump, please call our Department of Public Works Engineering Division at 270-7745.

Want to Ask the Mayor? Submit your Maui County related questions to Mayor Michael Victorino by email at, by phone at 270-7855 or by mail at 200 S. High St., ninth floor, Wailuku 96793. Questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the “Ask theMayor” column; to request a personal response to a concern, email



Check Also

Mandatory Water Shortage Restrictions End for Upcountry, West Maui

The County of Maui Department of Water Supply announced that it is ending Stage 1 …