Community

Kokua Puna Donation Drive Launched on Maui to Aid Hawai’i Island Evacuees

A community-driven collection drive to assist evacuated residents of Puna on Hawai’i Island, displaced by conditions caused by ongoing Kilauea eruptions, will take place on Saturday and Sunday. Working in coordination with Hilo-based non-profit Food Basket Hawaii, Inc., donations most urgently needed are items that can support evacuees who are without indoor living accommodations. Items are requested to be in …

Read More »

Made in Maui County Festival vendors applications deadline May 31

The County of Maui Mayor’s Office of Economic Development and the Maui Chamber of Commerce are reminding businesses interested in participating as a Product Vendor or Food Truck Vendor in the 5th Annual Made in Maui County Festival that the deadline for applications is Thursday, May 31, 2018. Considered the largest products show in Maui County, this year’s event will …

Read More »

Japanese Cultural Society of Maui Awards $1,000 Scholarships to High School Seniors

The Japanese Cultural Society of Maui awarded $1,000 scholarships to outstanding high school seniors Leslie Kimura and Tiara Kobayashi-Bautista last month for their community involvement and efforts in perpetuating the Japanese culture. Kimura is a senior at Seabury Hall whose school project was Ikebana (art of Japanese flower arrangement). She was an exchange student in Okinawa, Japan. She is also …

Read More »

Maui Container Carrying 2K+ Donated Items Reaches Kaua`i

A 20 foot container filled with over 2,000 items donated by Maui residents and business arrived on Kaua’i to offer aid to the island as it recovers from the recent flooding disaster that devastated parts of Kaua’i. Among the items sent in the container were rubber boots, first aid kits, tarps, shovels, non-perishable food, cleaning supplies, chainsaws, bottled water and …

Read More »

Kualapuu School Robotics Medals at Worlds

Kualapuu Elementary Schools Robotics Team competed at the 2018 VEX IQ Elementary World Championship on April 29 through May 1 in Louisville, Kentucky. Three rookie teams competed in this year’s game called VEX IQ Ringmaster. The objective of the game was to collect blue, green or red rings from the field and place them on scoring posts – more points …

Read More »

Maui Police to increase traffic enforcement leading up to Cinco De Mayo

Starting Friday, May 4, 2018 and continuing through the weekend, the Maui Police Department will be participating in a national campaign to save lives and prevent injuries through voluntarily compliance by taking a zero tolerance approach to impaired driving enforcement.  The Maui Police Department’s Traffic Section will be working diligently to enhance their traffic enforcement operations.  Motorists can expect to see an …

Read More »

Passage of Major Bills Caps Off Productive Legislative Session

At the beginning of the 2018 Legislative Session, leadership in the House of Representatives said their top priorities included funding for affordable housing and homeless support. The House today fulfilled that mandate and approved bills covering a wide range of issues including disaster relief, domestic violence, family leave, and the environment. Following the disastrous flooding on Kaua‘i and in Waimānalo …

Read More »

Rep. Tulsi Gabbard Hosts Maui Congress On Your Corner, Honors Vietnam Veterans

On Monday, Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (HI-02) hosted a “Congress On Your Corner” at the Queen Kaʻahumanu Center in Kahului, where she visited with local residents and updated them on her work in Washington, DC, including on recent federal funding secured for Hawaiʻi, her Off Fossil Fuels for a Better Future Act, her Securing America’s Elections Act, and more. She also shared how her office can …

Read More »

King Kekaulike Unveils New Performing Arts Auditorium

King Kekaulike High School has an immaculate new performing arts center. After years of planning and construction, this new facility will benefit students in Band, Drama, Hawaiian Immersion, and more. This feature is brought to you by a partnership between the State Department of Education and the MAUIWatch Community Network.

Read More »

MFD-Ocean Safety kicks off it’s 2018 Junior Lifeguard Program, registration information for Maui included

County of Maui Department of Fire & Public Safety Ocean Safety Bureau 2018 Junior Lifeguard Program Ages 12-17 Districts: North, South and West Program Time: 9am-3:30pm Session I- June 11th thru 15th, 2018 Session II- June 18th thru 22nd, 2018 Session III- June 25th thru 29th, 2018 Session IV- July 2nd thru 6th, 2018 Session V- July 9th thru 13th, 2018 Session …

Read More »